9.21.2008

Right Away, Great Captain

People that know me will know that I am big into finding new music. I love finding that band that is so amazing that it just blows away everything else I've been listening to at the time. Point-in-case, Wax On Radio. I found these guys a while back and have been listening to them ever since. They only have the one album out right now but I hope they are planning on more. I've also gotten into a band called Manchester Orchestra. Manchester Orchestra was one of those sleeper bands that took me off guard the first time I heard them. At the time I had only heard their song "Alice and Interiors" and I thought it was good but I just moved on. About three months later I got a hold of their full album "I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child" and never looked back.

Ok the whole point of me writing this was so I could talk about the lead singer for Manchester Orchestra Andy Hull and his perfectly amazing solo side project Right Away, Great Captain. The debut album "The Bitter End" was written from the perspective of a 1600's sailor at sea for 3 years. Each song on the concept album is a journal entry written either to his family back home or his captain. The entire album was written over the course of three days in a cabin near Bastian, VA. You can really tell Andy's focus listening to this. While Manchester has a more broad feel to it, Right Away, Great Captain has a smaller feel without losing any of it's likability and epicness. I mean you can't write about a 1600's sailor and not be epic. Its like an unwritten rule or something.

Everyone should go out and find a way to listen to this. You won't regret it.

No comments:

The Lowdown

My photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
"So I've made peace with the fallen leaves, I see their same fate in my own body. I won't be frightened when I'm awoken from this dream and return to that which gave birth to me"

The Following

The Back Log